Search This Blog

Sunday 10 May 2009

Where does the line between self-promote and brag become blurred?

Alison's Contribution:

I think it is the subtlety one uses - eg the HOW and the exact words used.

There is an expression that someone is "never backwards at putting oneself forward"... which I would term a cross between eagerness and ambition.

For me, Bragging is "all about ME" to the exclusion of others.. eg having no interest in the unique attributes of the people with whom they are speaking with.

Now, is bragging always bad? No. Some people brag about their children/grandchildren because the are proud of their achievements - we can all learn to take that in stride. We can even take a bit of "I really much tell you that I got XXX... I've been over the moon."

Self promotion is about putting oneself forward - stepping up to the responsibility to achieving something, making one's desires known - eg "I want to be one of the first people you call when ____. How can I prove to you that I can fulfil what you'll need then?"

Hope this helps with the thinking,

All the best,

Alison
posted 7 days ago

No comments:

Post a Comment