Search This Blog

Thursday 21 May 2009

Do you consider your comments, opinions, ideas at work to be professional advice?

Alison's Contribution:

As a consultant, all my comments, opinions and ideas are my "professional" advice at work. Professional indemnity insurance is the price tag I pay to protect myself.

How do I ensure everyone gets the same message?

Where possible, I write it down - both to clarify my thinking and to ensure that when it does get passed along that everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet. Chinese whispers can ruin a good message in no time as people "fiddle & fix" it to match their perceived nuances.

Imitation is the best form of flattery - so don't be surprised if people claim your words as their own. In terms of protecting confidentiality - if it really is confidential, then keep it so. You can always say "we're in the process of drafting...."

Words are very important. The ability to select the precise word which has the unique and consistent "inter-rater" scoring and meaning is all important to a budding artist like myself.

The challenge I see is to flood the office and external grapevines with the right kinds of information so that they never miss the fact that they don't know everything.... that would be one of the signs of a true artist.

All the best,

Alison
posted 11 hours ago

No comments:

Post a Comment