Search This Blog

Friday 15 May 2009

I have an employee who wants to stay working for me, but she's moving... What advice do you have for me about how to manage this.

Alison's Contribution:

I've worked on project spanning the globe, so I know a little bit about this area.

My main concern would be to maximise the effectiveness of her time interacting with internal staff and your suppliers.

As an owner, you will need to keep her abreast of your vision for the company, priorities, challenges and decision making. Obviously, she'll be updating you on projects, decisions required, etc.

She'll then need to rally the troops - which can present challenges if her position is not respected. However, managing virtual meetings effectively remotely can be learned. It's a bit more difficult if you can't see the whites of their eyes, so I'd invest in video conferencing facilities - I believe they are much more effective than a simple phone call or webex presentation because the present the holistic personal touch.

As long as you trust her, then I don't see any issues which cannot be overcome with the right attitude and perseverance.

No comments:

Post a Comment