Search This Blog

Wednesday 29 April 2009

Would you ditch a friend solely on ground of political ideology?

Alison's contribution:

Touchy subject - good luck with the understanding 

I have been ditched by friends of long standing from university days. 

Why? I simply mentioned before the beginning of the latest IRAQ war that I had wanted to join the million strong peace march in London. Nothing will convince me that warfare is the best use of the talented men and women who make up the ranks of the armed forces. 

Will I ever hear from them again? Probably not, though not because I am holding a grudge. 

Why did this happen? At the beginning of the Iraq conflict, there was a serious "us against the rest of the world" posturing from the US. No doubt, some may recall actors whose careers suddenly stopped... 

Does it matter? I don't know what might have been otherwise.. eg 
would we have found the cure for all cancers / motor neuro disorders, 
- fixed the global debt situation, 
- found a way to be at work and at home at the same time 
if the global economy had not rocked/swung down and up with the ripples of fortunes of war?

No comments:

Post a Comment