Search This Blog

Wednesday 29 April 2009

Do you accept invitations to Link(ed)In from people whom you don't know? If so, what is your expectations and what have the results been?

Alison's Contribution:

The great thing about LinkedIn is that individuals can choose how they want to manage their own networks. Yes, it might be even better if we had categorisations like "trusted", "inner circle", "met once", "disliked/not trusted", "unknown" - but I'm happy to have what I've got thus far. 

I tend to not link with recruiters if I have not got a partnership agreement in place. I also tend to decide later if a person's profile is not polished. Ultimately there is no logic to this because there is a) no validation of the information posted on LinkedIn and b) often the brightest people say the least about themselves (unlike me). 

The problem I believe needs to be solved is "HOW TO GET FOUND" when someone needs you, your expertise. LinkedIn's rankings ensure that if you have a profile here, you'll appear near the top of a people name search. LinkedIn is one of many tools I use to try and keep track of the people I've 
- met over the years 
- might be able to help at some point in the future 
- found are interesting 

I'm not sure I follow your logic in deleting contacts. To me, it sounds like you are limiting your future possibilities . However, I would certainly question what happened if someone's profile changed radically. 

For me it's a question of "Do I trust this person to be part of my network?" rather than "Am I going to make money off this person in the next 6 months?" 

For instance, I'm still waiting for some of the technology to catch up with me so that I can build value with people I met years ago. LinkedIn is the tool that best keeps us abreast of the how we can be contacted/what we're up to lately. 

Hope this helps you understand how differently my brain works. Isn't it great that we're all different and that some clever developers have designed a tool like LinkedIn so that we can use it anyway we like? 

No comments:

Post a Comment