Search This Blog

Wednesday 29 April 2009

Does it devalue LinkedIn when people connect just for the sake of increasing their connections?

Alison's Contribution:

I'm with Corey on this one. If LinkedIn were a Directory, I'd probably be on your side. However, 

Connections = Information growing exponentially 

So for Knowledge Based Industries, Linked In requires them to have lots of connections simply because it might just open the right door of opportunity. 

For technologists, I think many prefer to stay in their own "islands" (and use people like me help connect them to other islands of technologists at a safe distance - much they way I deal with other recruiters). 

For my industry of choice right now (recruitment), I dare say you it might be a case of don't call me, I'll call you when I need you. 

The question I ask when evaluating invitations is whether this person's profile and mutual connections inspire trust. I only show shared contacts because I think if need the directory, you'll search for someone. 

I wish I could come up with a witty metaphor right now, but I'm stuck on trying to make something with "Doors" in it work - doors of opportunity are the best I can do for now, perhaps it will spark a thought in return. 

No comments:

Post a Comment