Search This Blog

Thursday 30 April 2009

How does one frame a question so as to maximize the number and quality of responses?

Alison's Contribution:

As another person interested in the Art of Communication, you'll know that I believe that there are a set of rules (algorithms) which if followed will improve both the quantity and quality of our thinking - both for Askers and for Answerers. I've stated these off the top of my head as a set of principles.

1. State it as a positive challenge aimed at mobilising a group (ask for action within a given time period)
2. Make the complex simple and understandable
3. Leave room for someone to contribute their viewpoint which might just be a better way

I think this covers the who, what, where, when, why and how of it. I wish I had a bit of wit to inspire everyone. The only thing I can think of is "the squeaky wheel may get greased, but if you change the way you "squeak", you may get a better class of oil.

Let me know what you come up with.

Alison
Clarification added May 28, 2007:
Just so you know, that quote was made on 28 May 2007 by Alison Murray - feel free to use it when appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment