Search This Blog

Thursday 30 April 2009

Why did they ask this question ?!? I've been questioned about why I am interviewing for a position that is only a fragment of my work experiences

Alison's Contribution:

You didn't mention whether this is a contract or a permanent position. As someone who looks for great software engineers/developers/coders (what ever you want to call them), I have a slightly different perspective. 

Rightly or wrongly, many people (and companies) see coding as being at the bottom of the totem pole so to speak. They may not "get" that writing elegant code is an art form equivalent to creating an awe inspiring sculpture. Great problem solving skills and loving challenges are things I seek. I'll stop here about that, but I think you'll know at what I'm hinting. 

The easiest way to understand motives as to why questions are asked is simply ask for clarification "What are your concerns?"/"What is your chief concern?"/"Help me understand your concern of me having to code 90% of the time" /"Have you got any other concerns?" and then take each one in turn. 

I know this is easy to say after the event, so keep it in your kit bag for the next interview. If you really want the job/contract that got away, I would call directly and ask for a second interview including your peer group. 

If it was a case that you didn't do very well in the coding test, then I wouldn't bother, but since you are a cracking coder, you have to NOT be backwards at putting yourself forward - obviously on the line of "I'm so keen to get my hands back into full time coding that I'd like another chance to prove to you that I'm the best person for the position." 

Hope this helps - let me know how you get on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment