Search This Blog

Wednesday 29 April 2009

What is the best length for a resume?

Alison contribution:

I've heard of a comic (told 3rd hand) that one overworked HR chap divided the incoming cvs into stacks on their desk. Half went straight into the bin. The caption read "You wouldn't want to hire someone who was unlucky, now would you?" 

I always tell candidates that they have about 15-30 seconds to make their prospective employer WANT to read more. 

I believe the words you use are far more important than the length of the cv. NLP techniques will help you make your point concisely in ways which will help ensure that your points will be communicated. 

I have a particular layout I use when I have submitted cvs to clients which covers everything and provides the evidence of your ability to do the job. 

Other important essentials are the fit with the type of organisation and cultural style - again which show in your cv (or have the capability of being communicated). Oh and yes, I always recommend going through a head hunter who can give you the inside track and intelligence to help ensure you put your best foot forward first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment