Search This Blog

Thursday 30 April 2009

Why are Best Answers so important?

Alison's Contribution:

Good Question. No doubt if you can look at some of my other answers, you'll see that I don't really like the good/best structure of rating answers.

I want to help correct a misunderstanding though - in terms of rating answers there is NO requirement to rate a BEST Answer. There is an option to select "NO BEST ANSWER". However, if you want to rate a BEST answer, you can only select one.

As I have said before, for some questions, the Asker may not be the person best able to rate the BEST Answer precisely because they were not the expert in the first place.

I try to put a lot of thought and helpful advice into my answers. I would like the opportunity to give it away without having to worry whether I think someone else might think it worth rating good. In other words, if I'm asked to have a bias towards answering questions the way I think the Asker wants them, then I'm not providing my real expertise the way the I work.

A different question is whether it is worth changing the system to which I would say no. It's good enough for what it is today as long as you don't rely on it for precise information. I would dearly like to see the de Bono Thinking Hats used - both for Answers to categorise their Answers and for Askers to understand the viewpoint taken by the Answerer. I fear many Answerers get penalised for taking "Black Hat" perspectives which result in a nil-point situation, even thought it was a "Good Answer".

My solution - I rate every answer which show some thought as a "Good Answer" and don't select a BEST Answer. Why? I find it quite disturbing to have metrics for which I have been "graded" - eg the percentage of Good and Best Answers. I would like to value everyone who responded equally and have to make the assumption that they provided the best insights they could at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment