Search This Blog

Wednesday 29 April 2009

If the internet stopped working, what would YOU do?

Alison's Contribution:

Great Question! I thought it was just me that was locked out of LinkedIn, so I'm glad to hear it was a bigger problem. Here's my take 

We could probably survive individually for about 7 days. After 7 days, we'd have acclimatised somewhat to using off line information just like we used to BI (Before the Internet). Within 2 weeks, we'd have best selling lists full of maps/directories (particularly if people thought it was going to be three months until the Internet got back up). 

Banks - would operate individually so little change except in operations, authentication (huge loop holes for fraudsters), but basic operations could be done at branch level as it used to be and data fedexed /faxed in 
Airlines - again operations okay. On-line Ticketing systems would be undermanned. 
Supermarket Ordering systems - again fax comes to the rescue. 

I think we are far less dependent on the Internet than you fear. 

How would my individual business cope? Hard one to be in - I'd probably take a holiday if I knew it was going to be only a month. I'd go back to the drawing board if it weren't. On line recruitment/searching is the norm now. 

If I decided to work, I'd depend on the phone and fax lines much more. So I'd might someone to help with just that side of things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment