Search This Blog

Thursday 30 April 2009

Networking Opportunity

Alison's Contribution:

Hope this helps. I have been where you fear to be. So, know that that the suspension can be lifted. Simply write to customer support and explain why so many people said they didn't know you.

There are lots of options to avoid the situation in the future - you have their email addresses, so I would avoid sending invitations until you are sure they will probably accept. This might seem counter "productive", but my experience tells me that many candidates hate recruiters who don't bother to get to know them and their unique characteristics.

Another tactic to take is to provide a personal introduction vs the standard one and assume that everyone will be willing to look you up. You might also ask people to archive invitations rather than say they don't know you.

Regarding LinkedIn and the Recruiting Industry, it is true that LinkedIn has over 11 million participants. Until recently, I believed that extending my reach on LinkedIn was the best thing I could do to make the best use of it. That was based on the best information I had at the time. Now I'm not so sure. If you use tools like Google to search by site eg site:linkedin.com (variables) you can come up with a long list of candidates across the whole of the program (proving they have a public profile).

The debate between InMails vs Introductions is a different topic, so I won't go into it here. Suffice to say that when you find that perfect candidate, you'll want every tool in your kit bag to get to them and convince them that you've found a great career challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment