Search This Blog

Thursday 30 April 2009

Text Editing in LI - potential to improve...

Alison's Contribution:

"Why not improve for the sake of everybody who wants to share his knowledge?" I think is the question in your list of improvements you would like to see. For this answer I'm going to be taking the view point that if it is not a detriment to LinkedIn functionality, it's a cosmetic want rather than a show-stopping Have 2 Have.

As a free service, I think LinkedIn is pretty good. It's not a CRM system (and does not profess to be one). Here's my response

A: A small text frame helps keep answers short and focused - Well Done LinkedIn!
B: Basic Text Editing - Hard to keep the brain in synch with the fingers at any time, but then you have to decides which set of short cut keys you're going to use.
C: Spell Checker - not needed - either edit your text in your word processor of choice or use the Google Tool Bar which lets you spell check any form text (you could hardly expect me to say anything else, could you)?
D: Saving - again I think we've all had this problem, but LinkedIn's AJAX implementation is no different than 1000s of others. Being able to save a draft would be a boon (along with a notice that one had drafts not yet published). The only pragmatic work around I've found is to save "important to me" Answers in a WP and come back - the Copy to Clipboard before Submitting also works.
E: Formating - I vote no - some people's idea of what emphasises their work leaves me reeling - also for my future LinkedIn anywhere anytime, my platforms of choice (tablets) will have to cope.
F: Signatures - as for A - this is not an email or CRM not needed.

About the only thing I'd like to see when reading answers is for the whole screen to be used - eg a smaller left hand margin for names - so that there are fewer screenfuls of information to digest.

Guess this just goes to show that we can all find ways of suggesting improvements. However, I think it's really important to figure out if this is THE BATTLE worth fighting for in the big list of improvements which LinkedIn's Investments will be spent. The questions I would ask are :
- Will it make more people use Answers?
- Will it attract more people to Linked In?
- Will it generate revenue to sustain the company and their development plans?
- What kind of requirement is it - Show Stopper, Major Enhancement or Merely Cosmetic / Nice to Have (Must Do, Should Do, Could Do)?

As you may have guessed, for me this is a cosmetic enhancement which I probably would not use.

No comments:

Post a Comment