Search This Blog

Wednesday 29 April 2009

Linking with 3rd Degree's

Alison's contribution:

Isn't it great to have a tool which lets you ask questions? I've exceeded the character count, so I've split my contribution. 

"How to slice the pie" will come direct. My short response is that there may be no one “best way” – this is just how I try to organise my actions. 

To Go Faster: Remember to INCLUDE Your Email address AND a motivating form of words like - "Please feel free to invite me directly – xxx@xxx.xxx is the best email to use so we can connect quickly.” 

To make the "3rd degree" work in your favour, there are lots of tactics. It seems obvious to me to go directly to the Invitee whenever possible. I've had my own share of frustrations "not knowing" what's happened. Here's what I do: 

- Where there is an email address (simple - If you think they are an Active member and likely to link, send an invitation directly; otherwise take no action) 
- Where there are any "links" in their profile - follow their trail - you might learn more about what your Invitee values. Sometimes you can find an email address, other times, you might want to pick up the phone instead - "I just saw you on Linked in……. 
- Directories / associations - look it up and use the same tactics/ approach. 

Now the rest – 3rd degree introductions - I only use them where I think there a high likelihood of success. Why? Because … 

You need to Choose someone (A) who has to choose someone (B) who can pass it directly to the Invitee (C). 

For this to work, all three people 
- Must either have Linked In on their radar OR a working email address to which LinkedIn forward messages (which needs to be checked) Otherwise it will fail because any/all of them have not yet seen it. 
- Must believe that it's in everyone's best interests to pass it through – or at least feel obliged to let you know why not/pass through on the off-chance. So, put together something which is aligned with the final recipient’s goals and motivate action. TOTE helps… see below. 


No comments:

Post a Comment