Search This Blog

Wednesday 29 April 2009

If Project/Programme Management styles ranged on a continuum from Orchestra Conductor to the guy who bangs the drum or cracks the whip in a galley shi

Alison's contribution:

The orchestra metaphor is one I use frequently (not surprising given my first degree in music performance. However, I use it slightly differently, so I use styles of music as the product being produced - eg 

Mozart Symphony 
Ravel Sheherazade 
Bartok Hungarian Dances 
Even Charles Ives who sounds slightly out of tune to our western ears. 
Jazz I use for web development - Agile types 
Rock & Role/Roll (ha ha) for the Project Management office function 

etc, etc. 

I could go on for a bit, but I hope you have the idea that I use the music as the production. 

Sections of the orchestra make up the various element of the project - strings for user requirements/sign off. 

Wind Instruments for the added value and nuances. 

Brass for the guts of the application. 

Percussion as that ever looming sets of deadlines, keeping the tempo going and occasionally lighting a cannon or ring the chimes, crash the cymbals for a job well done.

Design authority, test team, and any thing else I forgot in the three minutes it's taken to write this are pretty much self selecting... 

The audience are the users/clients, etc... 

So, the conductor is the project manager, programme director, project board and their style can range from Previn to whom ever they wish to model themselves upon. 

For me, the important thing is to establish the culture which becomes the identifying factor so that everyone feels part of the whole and remains productive. 

Hope this is of value to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment