Search This Blog

Thursday 30 April 2009

How did Ron Bates (Linked In) get 32,000 connections? With the Linked In system, aren't you

Alison's Contribution:

There are a couple of factors which come into play - how many people you introduce and how many people elect to send an invitation to connect to you.

The number of candidates I look at can vary from 50 to 1,000 a day. Depending on how many fit my criteria and how much time I have, I try to drop them a line letting them know that I spotted them, and offer some pointers (including using Linked In). So I can see how it's very easy to get to 30,000 inside a couple of years.

On the flip side, being at the top of the TopLinked list and providing the reach across LinkedIn means that Ron gets lots of invitations to link. I'm pretty sure he accepts all of them. I choose not to.

I find it interesting that many members seem to have an underlying assumption that everyone should use LinkedIn the way they think they should. I think there are different kinds of value to be had from using it in different ways, so it's not a "one size fits all" type of service.

So, if you wanted to build a network of 20,000, I would suggest you

1. Put a link in your email signature and a strap line of "Invite me to Link" or something like it.
2. Invite every single candidate your firm encounters to LinkedIn and have them link to you.
3. When ever you are at an industry event, ask others if they use LinkedIn and get them to invite you.

No comments:

Post a Comment